Friday, May 6, 2016

My Story - Part 2

Happy Friday friends! Today is an exceptionally special day, not just because it’s Friday, but because today is my husband’s 36th birthday! So let me begin by wishing him a very happy birthday! Today’s post is not only part 2 of my story, but it’s a tribute to the one whom my soul loves (Song of Songs 3:4). For you to better understand who I am as a person, I need to share with you the story of how this 12 year old boy stole my heart.

When I met this cute blond headed, blue-eyed kid, I was just in elementary school. We grew up together in church. Although I never even knew his name when we were on the puppet team together in children’s church, this cutie got my attention when I moved up to the youth group as a boy-crazy eleven year old girl. We had several mutual friends and we got to know each other on my first summer youth trip to St. Louis! He was quiet and shy and absolutely adorable the way he got so nervous around me! Just thinking about the way we were together makes me smile. I thought he was cute, but for Nathan, it was love at first sight. Let me back up and share something that happened when we were on that puppet team together that I mentioned earlier. The first time Nathan saw me was when we were serving on the puppet team together in children’s church. Now keep in mind, I didn’t even know his name! Nathan shared with me years later that God told him that day that he was going to marry me! It truly was a love at first sight moment with him.  So fast forward a couple of years later when we were actually introduced to each other and started talking and spending time together…he was smitten and I didn’t even know it. After our youth trip, we became great friends and since we had several mutual friends in our youth group, we hung out often before and after church. He was so shy though so I didn’t even know he liked me until I was 15 years old…three years after we had become best friends! Thinking back at how awkward we were just makes me laugh.

Now, onto the part of my story when I realized Nathan was the one whom my soul loved. We had been great friends for a few years, and sure I thought he was cute, but it wasn’t until tragedy struck that I actually realized how much I cared for Nathan. On April 12th, 1996, Nathan was riding a 3-wheeler and lost control, causing him to crash and be thrown off the vehicle. He was critically injured and suffered severe head trauma. When I heard from someone at church about the accident, my heart sank. The next day, my parents took me to the hospital to visit him in the ICU. That day will forever be etched into my memory because it was the day I fell in love. The first person I met when I walked into the waiting room was Nathan’s grandma. After introducing myself to her, she informed me that she was so glad I was there because Nathan had been asking about me all day. Hearing those words made my heart almost beat out of my chest…literally. I can still remember the sinking feeling in my stomach as I heard her words because it was at that moment that I knew…Nathan loved me. I was so nervous to see him because his family had warned me that it was bad. I remember walking back through ICU with my sister and when I saw him, I didn’t even recognize him. His head was wrapped in bandages from his emergency surgery the night before. He still had bloody scrapes all over his face, arms, and hands. He was hurting, but when he saw me, he smiled. My eyes filled with tears and my heart ached just seeing him like that. He couldn’t move much without hurting but he slid his hand over and grabbed my hand. I stood there holding his hand in mine and at that moment, I knew…he was the one for me. I remember crying uncontrollably on the car ride back home because my heart was broken.  I  had just left a piece of my heart at the hospital. That blond haired, blue-eyed, bandage-wrapped, and scraped up boy had my heart. I loved him…and he didn’t even know.

Let me just stop right here for a moment and tell you something about our Jesus. He is faithful ya’ll! The Bible is clear when it tells us what the enemy has come to do. John 10:10 tells us that, “Satan has come to kill, steal, and destroy.” But it doesn't stop there. It goes on to say that, “Jesus has come so that we may have life, and life to the fullest.” I didn't recognize it as a 15 year old kid, but looking back, I have no doubt that the enemy was out to kill Nathan and destroy the plans that God had for him. But God...He is faithful. Genesis 50:20 says, “You (the enemy) intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.” Does that not just make you want to shout!? When the devil is out scheming, plotting to bring destruction to your life and to those around you, you need to understand this...the very thing that he intends to cause harm to you, God can use for good to accomplish His plans! Do you remember in Wednesday's post how I shared that God has ordained our lives and He has our entire life story written and planned out even before we were even formed (Psalms 139)!? Well the enemy hates that! He's out to destroy those plans! And although the enemy may interfere with God's plans, God can use his evil plans to bring good! Praise God! What are you going through right now that you know is a direct attack from the enemy? Maybe you have just received a bad report from the doctor or maybe your marriage is under attack. Whatever it is, remember this...Jesus has come so that we may have abundant life and God can use what was meant for evil and to harm you for His good to accomplish His ultimate plans for your life! Satan wanted nothing more than to take Nathan's life. But God. God heard the desperate prayers of his family and He was able to use that terrible wreck to accomplish good. We may never know everything that God was able to accomplish through the events that surrounded Nathan's wreck, but here's what I do know. God worked a miracle. In a matter of days, Nathan went from being in emergency surgery to relieve pressure on his brain due to the swelling and from being told that he may never be able to do certain things again because of the damage on his right side of the brain to walking out of the hospital less than one week later and passing his driver's test on his 16th birthday just a few weeks later! Don't tell me God doesn't still work miracles because I wake up to a living reminder of God's faithfulness every single day! Nathan's recovery baffled the doctors, nurses, and family. But God...He works for our good to accomplish His plans and purpose. Here's what else I know. God took what was meant to harm my future husband and he used it for good to accomplish his plans to prepare my heart to fall in love with him! I hadn't looked at Nathan as anything more than a friend up until that moment that I saw him lying there in the hospital. At that moment, I believe the Holy Spirit allowed a shift in my feelings for him. God knew before I was even formed that we would each do great things for the kingdom of God, but He also knew that some of our greatest achievements for the kingdom would be accomplished together, as husband and wife. I have no doubt that even in those moments where Satan tried to harm Nathan that God must have said this, “Do you really think I'm going to allow you to harm my precious son? I'll show you! Not only am I going to heal him and restore everything the doctors told him he may lose, but I'm going to give him the girl he desires! And you just wait, devil. When these two become one, they are going to be a dynamic duo and you'll be sorry you ever even messed with him! I have great things in store for them so you get your hand off of my son. He's mine.” Now I need you to understand something...our God is a loving God, but guys, He's our daddy!  As much as my earthly father would go to battle for me and protect me at all cost, we have a Heavenly Father that gave it all for us. He ain't about to let the enemy take something that He gave His one and only Son for! That would mean his Son died in vain and that just isn't so! Be encouraged today! Whatever you are facing today, Jesus gave it all so that you could overcome and have victory! It's yours! 

Back to my story...Over the next several months following Nathan's wreck, our friendship grew even closer, and on September 11, 1996, we had our first official date! I don't know what God was thinking...or what my parents were thinking! I was just 15! I have children now and oh mylanta...15 is just a baby! As much as I have absolutely loved experiencing life with Nathan, I would really appreciate it if God would go ahead and wait until my children are at least 21 before he brings their spouse into the picture! Fortunately, he has a few more years to begin preparing my heart for when that time does come!

Because we were so young when we began dating, I have had the privilege to not only watch Nathan grow up physically (he used to be a head shorter than me) but I have had the amazing opportunity to watch the one whom my soul loves grow into the man of God that he was born to be! I have literally watched God birth dreams in Nathan's life! I have watched him grow in wisdom. I have been there to see God's favor upon him and I have witnessed God's blessings in his life time and time again. You guys...God is faithful!

After dating for six years, we finally were old enough to get married! Hallelujah! He has continued to make me the happiest woman in the world throughout our 13 years of marital bliss! God has blessed us with four beautiful children and I can honestly say I love this man more today than ever before. I feel absolutely honored that God allowed me to be his wife. He is my very best friend and life is so much more fun with him by my side. I am blessed.

My husband is 36 years old today and I have been a part of his life for 24 of those years! I have been in love with this man for 20 years!!! So forgive me if I write mushy posts about him in the future. Forgive me if I can't help but post how grateful I am for him. Forgive me if I'm outspoken about God's faithfulness. Forgive me if I argue that God is still in the miracle working business. This man is the reason why. He changed my life. God changed my life. And because of him, life is so much sweeter.

I have so enjoyed sharing this part of my story with you! I am excited to share part 3 of my story next week. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to leave comments below or on Facebook. I know some of you are having trouble getting your comments posted to my blog.  When you are posting comments to the blog, follow these steps.  Click the "Comment" button below my post.  Write your comment in the box, but be sure to click the little down arrow in the drop down menu that says "Google Account" and scroll down to choose “Name/URL” instead. That will allow you to write your name and then you can post your comment. You don't have to put anything in the URL space. If you forget to do that step, it will not post your comments.  If you have left comments and I haven't responded, I'm not ignoring you! I just didn't see them. Thank you so much for joining me in this new blogging journey.  I pray each of you have a blessed weekend and I would like to wish a Happy Mother's Day to all of the ladies! You are a blessing!


Hugs and Blessings,

Mary <3 p="">

4 comments:

Shirley Roberson said...

Love reading your story. Blessed to have you both as my kiddos. Happy birthday to your hubby and can't wait for your next blog. :)

Ashley said...

Such a sweet love story.

Shannon Geurin said...

Mary- I'm just now getting to your blog and I just pray blessing upon blessing over you! I love your story and I love your vulnerability and willingness to share. You will touch SO many!!! I just love you so much! You are so beautiful! xxooxxooxox

Mary Nelson said...

Thank you Shannon! It's not like you've been busy throwing anniversary parties, wedding showers, graduation parties, and preparing to move or anything! Ha! I'm just honored you took the time to read my blog! Thank you! I love following your blog and I love seeing how God is using your story to touch many. I pray He will do the same through me! Thank you for your words of encouragement and for the record...you are beautiful too! xoxoxo