Monday, August 15, 2016

Dating...What I Will Teach My Daughters About Dating

Not long ago, I had a close friend ask me for some dating advice.  She was wanting to pass along some advice to her younger sister who was entering the season in her life where she was interested in dating.  I couldn’t help but ask myself what would I want to tell my own daughters someday about dating? 

My children are growing up in a culture where dating is no longer an innocent opportunity to get to know someone better and have fun with friends.  Instead, it has become an opportunity for a sexual “hook up”.  According to Glamour magazine, 46% of men have sex on the first date and 33% of women admitted to the same.  The majority of Americans become sexually active once in a committed relationship.  Only 3% of the US population save sex for marriage!  Sex is now considered one of the most important aspects to building a healthy relationship, according to experts.  Saving sex for marriage is an outdated concept in today’s culture and according to relationship experts, saving sex for a committed relationship is even old-school!

Now, when I see these statistics and hear the stories from friends and family members, I immediately begin thinking that “courting” is sounding like a really great concept to teach my children…I don’t care how old-school it may seem!  Listen, ideally, my children would be so focused on God as they grow up that they don’t even notice the cutie across the room.  I would be perfectly okay if my kids chose not to date until they were 25 years old and shortly after, fall in love, marry their soul-mate and live happily ever!  However, I am not naïve!  If I want to see my children approach dating differently from the world, then I have to do my part in teaching them long before my daughters become interested in boys and long before my son starts getting googly eyed over pretty girls!  There’s a reason God laid out His design in His Word.  God’s ways are higher than our ways.  Afterall, He created us and God knows every intricate detail of our life… He knows how a sexual relationship affects our bodies, hearts, and minds.  God gives us very clear instruction in His Word about His design for marriage and there is no question that sex outside of marriage is sin.  Knowing God’s design for marriage is vital if we want to approach dating with a Godly perspective.  Although the Bible doesn’t mention “dating” or “courtship”, it does give clear principles that we should abide by before marriage.  I believe the most important principle for believers to adhere by when it comes to dating is to separate yourself from the world’s view of dating, because God’s way contradicts the world’s way.

“Do not conform to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:2

My oldest is just 8 years old, but we have been talking about boys to her for quite some time!  When she was just 4 years old, there were some boys in her class that chased her on the playground and she came home telling me these boys wanted to be her boyfriend!  I wasn’t prepared for it to start at 4 years old, but it did so we started laying the ground work then for God’s design for dating and marriage.  We began talking to our kids at a very young age about their future spouse.  We dream together and talk about all of the wonderful things they will get to do together.  We talk about how special that person is and we pray for them often.  They understand that God has a special plan and when His timing is right, He will direct their paths to cross and they will one day meet and fall in love.  They often wonder if they have already met the person…only time will tell. 

We have started talking to our daughters about how special it would make her feel if they met the “one” and learned later that he had made the choice to save his heart for only her.  He never gave a piece of his heart (or body) to another girl on the playground or to that girl in class.  He chose to hang out with his friends instead of going on dates with all the girls that kept texting him constantly.  He kept his eyes on God and leaned on Him to guide and direct his footsteps.  It wasn’t until he met my daughter that he knew in his spirit that she was the one and it was then that he finally allowed his heart to be vulnerable to fall in love.  My girls get giddy when we have conversations like that.  I let them know how important it is for them to do the same for their future husband because he is such a special guy and he’s totally worth waiting for.  We pray that the Holy Spirit will be their guide and that when the timing is right, God will make their paths cross.  I teach my girls that they don’t have to do the searching because God already knows and as long they go where the Spirit leads, it will happen.  They will know.

I’m sure there will come a time when they think they have met “the one” and they come to me and their father and ask if they can date him.  When this time comes, I pray that I have done well in teaching my children what to look for when dating someone.  First of all, I pray that they choose to date with a purpose.  Dating without a purpose only leads to sin and broken hearts.  I want my children to approach dating with their future in mind.  Is it someone they can see a future with?  If not, it’s not worth the emotional attachment. 


As I think about that day when my daughters ask me if they can begin dating a guy that they really like, I imagine we will have a conversation full of motherly advice that they have probably already heard many times over the years.  Here is the advice I would offer to my daughters as they begin dating with a purpose, no matter what age that may be.  I would have very similar advice for my son too, but today’s advice is geared for my girls.  Feel free to share with those in your life who are single and I would love to hear any advice you might add!     


1.   Let the Holy Spirit Be Your Guide.

Sweetheart, you are something special.  Not only are you beautiful, but you are intelligent, kind, talented, funny, and you radiate Jesus!  Boys are going to notice these things about you and it’s going to make you extremely attractive to them.  Some of these guys will think they love you and they may even tell you that.  However, they really just love the idea of you.  Let the Holy Spirit guide you.  Others will see your beauty and lust will enter their heart.  They may tell you they love you because they desire to have more than your heart.  They want your body too.  The problem with lust though, is once the initial chase and excitement of getting what they want fades, those guys will move onto the next lady that catches their eye.  The relationship will never move deeper than the physical attraction.  Watch out for these guys.  They will tell you what you want to hear.  You must let the Holy Spirit be your guide.  Don’t fall for the first guy that tells you what your itching ears want to hear.  Instead, listen to the leading of the Holy Spirit.  The Lord has planned out your days here on this earth and He has gone before you to prepare the way.  Your steps are ordered by God.  I have full confidence in you that you will listen to those inner nudgings of the Holy Spirit.  The Lord wants the absolute best for you so He will give you those nudgings to alert you.  Never settle for less than God’s best.  Listen to Him baby.  With his help, you will find your Mr. Right and you’ll know…you’ll just know. 

“So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives.  Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.”  - Galations 5:16

2.   Have High Standards

Baby, I want you to dream about your future for a minute with me.  What kind of man do you see in your dreams?  What does he look like?  How does he treat you?  How does he treat his family and your family?  What kind of father is he to your children?  What kind of relationship does he have with the Lord?  What kinds of things do you see him doing in your everyday life that lets you know He loves Jesus?  What kinds of things does he do to show you how much he loves you and your children?  Is he a hard worker?  Is he a family man?  Think about it…make a list of all of all of the qualities that your “dream man” would possess.  Then pray about those things.  If GOD puts those desires in your heart, he will complete the work that He has begun in you and He will grant you the desires of your heart.  Don’t ever let anyone tell you any different!

"For I am confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will continue to perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 1:6

With that said, I need you to hear me.  Don’t ever put your standards above God’s will.  Remember what I told you is the most important thing to remember when dating and seeking God’s best?  You must let the Holy Spirit be your guide!  I tell you this because if I had waited for my “dream man” and waited for that perfect guy that met all of my high standards, I would have missed my Mr. Right because I would have never allowed myself to fall in love with your father.  He met 6 out of my top 10 prerequisites for my future husband.  The four areas that he missed were big ones too. 

I desired a prayerful man who was a spiritual leader in our relationship.  We were young when we started dating.  If I had waited for the guy that sent me daily devotions to read with him and planned Bible studies for us to do together…I may have missed out on the greatest love story ever!  You see, God knew.  God knew that I would be a vital part in your Daddy’s spiritual development.  We were young and we grew closer to God together.  Your Daddy wasn’t that bold leader that I had always thought I would marry.  Instead, he was a gentle leader.  God knew that over time, your Daddy would be a mighty man of God with a heart to lead his family.  I’m so grateful that God allowed me to see that in your father, instead of mistaking his quietness for a lack of leadership.  Only the Holy Spirit can do that.

Communication was also an area that your daddy missed the mark on in the beginning of our relationship.  Who am I kidding, he still isn’t the best.  But here’s something I learned early on in our relationship.  Your daddy is a man of few words.  He doesn’t like to have long, drawn out conversations and it’s difficult for him to express his feelings.  But God…He slowly opened my eyes to this powerful truth.  Although he was a man of few words, when he spoke, his words were full of wisdom and genuine affection.  I have learned to love this quality about him!  I’m so glad the Holy Spirit was my guide and He opened my eyes to what was important so that I didn’t miss out on my Mr. Right!  God is so good.

Another standard that could have caused me to miss my Mr. Right was I wanted to marry someone that wanted a big family.  He only wanted two kids…but God knew.  I’m so glad I allowed God time to change and prepare his heart in the right timing instead of being so focused on my desires that I let him go.  I know that was because of the leading of the Holy Spirit. 

As for the last standard your father didn’t meet, well…the Lord changed my heart and made me realize it wasn’t worth losing your father over!  Singing has always been a passion of mine and for some reason, I always dreamed about marrying a man who could sing as well.  I just knew my future husband would sing me a handwritten love song on our wedding day and well…that just wasn’t the case!  Your daddy can sing but he won’t ever admit to it and do it in public!  I’m so glad the Holy Spirit allowed me to look past what he couldn’t do and showed me his other strengths and talents.  God knew. 

Setting high standards and sticking to them is extremely important as you begin dating and seeking the one God has for you, but let the Holy Spirit be your guide.  He will open your eyes to see what God sees.  The Holy Spirit will make it clear to you when you need to end a relationship and He will give you clarity when you need to allow God to work on some of those areas in His timing.  Just lean on Him if you see an area that doesn’t align with your standards.  You will know baby girl…you’ll just know.

3.   Don't Look for Someone to Complete You...Look for Someone to Compliment You

Baby, there is not one man in this world that will ever complete you.  Only God can do that.  But there is a man out there that will compliment your strengths and weaknesses and he will make you better.  As you begin dating, look for a guy that pushes you to be greater and do greater…not because you aren’t already enough, but because he sees something inside of you that you don’t see there yourself.  Look for someone who is able to draw that greater good out of you.

“Just as iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.”- Proverbs 27:17

4.     Don’t Change Who You Are for a Man.

Don’t ever let a man make you feel like you aren’t enough.  Don’t change who you are and try to be like someone else.  This world only has one YOU and you were fearfully and wonderfully made, so own it girl!  Do YOU and you keep being be-YOU-tiful!  God has a man for you that will look at you and treat you like you are God’s gift to him…which you are!  You are one-of-a-kind and you need a man that sees your strengths and weaknesses through God’s filter and with love in his eyes. 

5.   Choose an Encourager

Listen, if he speaks down to you, leave him!  I don’t care if he does it jokingly or not, if he speaks to you or about you in a derogatory manner, move on!  He is not the one for you!  God’s Word is very clear that our words hold the power of life and death and as your mother, I can assure you that if he puts you down in front of his friends or family, he doesn’t cherish you the way God does. 

“Death and life are in the power of the tongue.” Proverbs 18:21

God clearly tells husbands to love their wives as Christ loves the church.  You can tell a lot about a man’s heart and whether he values you or not through his words.  Seek for the man that speaks encouragement over you.  He should be your number one supporter (other than us of course).  He’ll know you aren’t perfect, but he’ll sure think you’re close!  His words should build you up and seek a man that knows how to build up others too!  How does he speak when he’s with his family?  How does he speak when he’s with his friends?  His words will reveal a lot about his heart.  Choose an encourager.  If he doesn’t know how to give genuine praise to you or towards others, his heart isn’t worthy of your love.  And if he ever puts others down in order to make himself look better, that’s just desperate.  Rise above that baby and move on.  Don’t settle.  God has so much greater for you!

“The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” Luke 6:45

6.   Set Boundaries

I know we have talked about this since you were a little girl, but I need to remind you to set clear boundaries before entering into a relationship.  If he doesn’t agree with or respect your boundaries, he’s not the one for you.  And God forbid, if he crosses your boundaries without your consent, there’s a reason your daddy taught you how to shoot a gun at a young age!  Kill him!  If you aren’t old enough to legally carry a gun, we will be chaperoning your dates, so if we witness him crossing the line, he’ll become target practice for us! 

Have enough respect for yourself and for your future husband to protect the sanctity of marriage and the gift of sex within your marriage.  Set clear boundaries together and hold each other accountable.  Don’t put yourselves in situations where those boundaries can be easily crossed.  Just avoid being alone.  You may think you are a strong person, but one moment of weakness can change your life forever.  Don’t ever be afraid to say no and to get up and leave.  Let the Holy Spirit be your guide.  He will bring clarity where there are questions.  And one more thing…if you ever wonder if it’s going too far…the answer is YES!  There is no confusion when following God’s design in a relationship so if you aren’t sure, just say no. 

7.     Don’t Try to Fix Him.

It doesn’t matter how much you care about a person or how great of friends you are…if there’s something you don’t like about a guy, getting involved in a relationship is not going to fix him!  And marriage sure won’t fix him!  If he doesn’t give you enough affirmation in your relationship when dating or courting, marriage won’t change it.  If he can’t keep a job and support himself as a single guy, marrying him won’t make him more responsible.  If he doesn’t get along well with your friends and family, marriage won’t make those relationships any stronger.  If he has a bad habit, being in a relationship won’t fix him.  Let the Holy Spirit be your guide.  If you don’t see a future with the person as he is, don’t jump into a relationship with him thinking he will change someday.  Just learn to walk away with your head held high and have confidence that your future is bright and God’s ways are higher than our ways. 

8.     Do Not Be Unequally Yoked.

We live in a world where evil is looked upon as good and good as evil.  Righteousness is rare, even within the church.  Now, more than ever, it’s imperative that you use God’s Word as your moral compass and standard of truth.  God’s Word is clear that we should not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.  An “unbeliever” is anyone that is not in right standing with The Lord.  Going to church doesn’t make you a believer, so let The Holy Spirit be your guide.  It doesn’t matter how nice a guy is, how well he treats you, how rich he is, how generous he is, how loving he is, or how good-looking he is…if he does not take God’s Word as the final authority in His life, don’t even entertain a future with him!  I can assure you it is not God’s Will!  You are absolutely amazing on your own sweetheart and you may find a guy that is incredible!  But I can confidently tell you, if you don’t have Jesus as a common thread in your relationship and if you don’t put God and His Word first in your life, your relationship will suffer.  Don’t miss out on God’s best by chasing a nice man.  You don’t need a “good” man…you need a “Godly” man.  

“Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.  For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness?  Or what fellowship has light with darkness?”  2 Corinthians 6:14









No comments: