Friday, March 17, 2017

God's Design for Sex...When Is It the Right Time To Talk To Your Children

We live in a culture where girls are pressured to act and dress older than they really are and kids in general are much more knowledgeable of sexual terms and behaviors thanks to the internet and our entertainment industry.  As a mom, I deeply desire to maintain my children’s innocence, but there’s a fine line between preserving innocence and just being naïve.  A couple of years ago, when my oldest daughter was just six years old, I started researching and praying about when and how to begin the discussion of sex with my children.  I found out there are thousands of books and even more opinions on the matter!  I obviously wanted to discuss sex with my kids from a Biblical perspective, so I began researching some of the Christian authors that had books on the subject of teaching children about sex.  Some of the questions that raced through my mind included:

-       At what age should I sit my children down and have “the” talk?
-       How much do I tell them?
-       At what age should I stop bathing my children together?
-       When should I stop dressing in front of my children?
-       Should I wait until they see or hear something and then start the conversation?
-       If I talk to them too early, will it cause unnecessary curiosity?
     Is it better for me to talk to my children about sex alone or should my husband and I have this conversation together? 
-       Should I talk about everything all at once or just a little at a time and have a longer,  ongoing discussion?

I just had so many questions and after reading several of the book summaries, I had even more!  If there is one book that I believe to be a successful parenting tool, it is the Word of God!  I believe every word of the Bible to be true so I started there!  I began to pray for wisdom.  James 1:5 tells us “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”  I fully believe that the Lord will equip us to fulfill our calling and purpose and parenting may be my most important calling of all!  “May the God of peace equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ.” (Hebrews 13:21).  Knowing these two truths gives me so much peace as I go along my parenting journey. 

It really is true that it takes a village to raise our children and I am so thankful that The Lord brings the right people into our lives at the right time.  Whether it’s from family, friends, pastors, teachers, authors, or online bloggers, I am open to receive wisdom from them all when it comes to parenting my children in the ways of the Lord!  It is for this reason I write this blog today.  For those of you who are in a similar season with the same questions I had, I have found a great resource for parents to teach their children about sex!  Obviously, I would encourage you to pray and seek the Lord as well, because He knows your kids best!  However, I hope you will find this information helpful.

After reading through dozens of book summaries and over one hundred reviews from parents, I chose to purchase the “God’s Design for Sex Series” by Stan and Brenna Jones.  This series comes with four different books and each book is geared towards a specific age range.  The first book is recommended for ages 3-5 years old.  My girls were almost 4 and 6 years old at the time that I purchased them so I read it to them together and have since read it to my now 4 year old son.  This book was very age appropriate and was in a picture book format.  The story portrays the love and goodness of God and emphasizes how each of us are uniquely designed by God.  It teaches proper names for private body parts and talks about how special it is that we each were made a boy or girl.  I love that the book paints such a beautiful picture of the family unit as God’s context for love.  My girls really enjoyed it and the content was nothing new to them, as they learned how God created boys and girls differently when their little brother was born.  I left it on their book shelf for them to read at their pleasure over the next year and it was read again several times. 

The second picture book is recommended for ages 5-8 years old so I waited a year and then read it to them together.  This one included a lot more details on sexuality, human reproduction, and the miracle of childbirth.  There were parts that were difficult to read with a straight face, but one thing I felt the Lord impress on my heart from the beginning was to teach my children that sex was a wonderful thing that the Lord created for marriage and not to make it something to be awkward or embarrassed about.  With that in mind, I read the book with a very matter of fact attitude and allowed my girls to stop me anytime throughout the story and ask questions.  There were some wide eyes and surprised faces and honestly afterwards, I walked away wondering if it was too much too soon.  I prayed about it again and still felt a peace that it was part of the process of training up my kids in the ways of the Lord so I left the book on their bookshelf and allowed the Holy Spirit to water the seeds that I had just planted into the hearts of my girls.  Slowly, my girls would mention something about what we read and they wanted to know more.  Sometimes, my answers to their questions were all they wanted and the conversations were quick and other times those answers led to even more questions.  The dialogue that has started though has been so beautifully orchestrated and I know the Holy Spirit has guided my words.  My girls are only 7 and 8 years old today, but they already have an understanding that sex is a wonderful thing for a husband and wife.  Because of these books, we have already got past the awkwardness of that first conversation so they are comfortable coming to me to ask me about what to expect when they get married someday. 

I am so thankful the Holy Spirit led me to start these conversations early on because they are already forming their opinions on sex and learning what is appropriate according to God’s Word.  I feel like the information they have learned has also helped protect them from sexual abuse because we have started healthy conversations of what’s appropriate and what’s not appropriate and how to respond.  Having that Biblical perspective revealed is so important for kids and they really need that foundation before they hit puberty so that they can process the information without all of the emotions that they are experiencing during puberty.  We still have the last two books to read together.  Book 3 is recommended for age 8-11 and book 4 is for ages 11-14.  Many of the parent reviews recommend waiting until the latter part of the age recommendations, so I am still praying about when to read book 3 with my oldest.  She will be 9 in May and I have not felt the leading to read it yet.  This book deliberately exposes the moral messages that our culture sends to our kids and scenarios that they are being exposed to that are contrary to God’s Word.  It is in a question and answer format between the kids and their Mom and Dad.  Basically, they go through each question and do a great job at building their child’s defense against it.  Every answer builds your child’s understanding of why God intends sex to be reserved for marriage and it will definitely shape your child’s moral character.  The author firmly believes that first messages are the most powerful, so why wait until they hear the wrong thing from friends and then try to correct it?  It’s direct, but presented in a wholesome and understandable way.  Book 4 equips kids to understand and deal with the changes of puberty.  It also examines why God intends sex for marriage, discusses love and dating, and answers tough questions about sexuality.  These are great books and although I’m certain there are many other great resources out there, I wanted to share this one because I felt it has a very strong Biblical emphasis which I love!


As I continue to pray for wisdom in my parenting journey, I believe the Lord not only lead me to these books, but He also lead me to another great author and public speaker named Dannah Gresh.   She has a ministry called Secret Keeper Girls that is geared towards pre-teen girls.  I was drawn to her deep knowledge of not only the Biblical and spiritual aspect of sex, modesty, and self-worth, but she has extensive knowledge in the science aspect of sex and the effects that it has on your body and mind.  I read several of her articles and listened to several videos on her website at purefreedom.org and I immediately had a peace about her ministry and trusted her advice.  I have read several of her books and I am so excited that her “Secret Keeper Girls Tour” is coming to Tulsa next week!  For those of you who have daughters between the ages of 7 and 12 years old, I highly recommend you check out her website or Facebook page and come to her event!  She has some great advice for parenting young girls and will be at the Maybe Center on March 24th so check her out!   

I pray daily for my children that they would know their worth and be bold in their stance for purity and holiness.  I pray they would be successful in living IN this world but not be OF this world.  I also pray for your sons and daughters too!  I pray there is a generation of young people being raised to honor God in all that they do.  The world is doing everything they can to normalize sin.  If we don’t teach our children to follow Christ, the world will teach them not to.  Let’s continue to encourage each other along the way and don’t be afraid to impart wisdom into the lives of those in your sphere of influence.  God is equipping you and as He gives you wisdom in that area you have been praying for, be open to sharing it with others!  It take a village and I want my village to be full of men and women with godly counsel!  I'm always open to sound Biblical advice so share away.


“Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.” Proverbs 19:20

No comments: