Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Will You Be My Girlfriend? And So It Begins...

If you would have come across any one of my crayon boxes or spiral notebooks during my elementary and middle school years, I’m confident you would have found plenty of “I love ____” doodled all over the front of my supplies.  Depending on the year, the name changed and many years, there would have been names scratched out and new names added!  Reflecting back, I can remember having a boyfriend as young as first grade.  Granted, as a first grader, my "boyfriend" didn't even have the nerve to talk to me, but we giggled and looked away really fast every time we were caught glancing at each other in class.  I'm pretty sure that was the beginning of my obsession with boys and I honestly don’t remember NOT having a boyfriend after that!  As a parent now, it bothers me to see how desperate I was to have the attention of boys and how freely I let my heart feel for just anyone.  I find myself asking the question, “When is it appropriate to begin liking someone and at what age is it appropriate for my children to have a boyfriend or girlfriend?”  

I know I’m not alone.  When I was a first grade teacher, I saw it all the time even though I highly discouraged it.  I even had parents walk in for a conference or parent night asking their child to show them where their girlfriend or boyfriend sat!  It always surprised me that parents encouraged this at such a young age!  Now that my kids are that age, it really concerns me! 


When Myka was just four years old, she always came home from school eager to tell me all about her day at school.  I can still remember the time she told me about some boys at school who told her they wanted to marry her and be her boyfriend.  It definitely caught me by surprise that this was already beginning at four years old!  Out of all my children, Myka is the most observant and most inquiring.  Because of things she had seen or heard at school before this happened, we had already had several conversations about how she was too young to have a boyfriend, but that it was perfectly fine to have friends that were boys.  I just didn’t feel like it was a good idea for kids her age to even be thinking about a relationship until they were much older!  So being the “rule follower” that she is, she politely informed these boys that she wasn’t allowed to have boyfriends until she was older and life went on for everyone.  When she told me how she responded, I simply told her she handled that perfectly and that’s exactly what she should say if it happens again.  As we said our prayers that night with Myka, we thanked God for giving Myka the boldness to speak truth in love to her friends and we prayed for her future husband together.  We actually pray often for all of our children’s future spouse.  

Myka is now eight years old and the conversations continue with not only her, but our other children as well.  Obviously, as parents we want to make the best decisions for our children because we love them and we want God’s best for them.  We read countless number of books, blogs, and seek parenting advice from friends and family because we love our children and want the best for them!  However, the only instructional manual that we have to guarantee God’s best for them is The Word of God!  If I have learned anything since becoming a parent, it has been to pray for wisdom constantly and go to the Word to find out what God has to say on the matter! 

“If any of you lack wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” James 1:5

Parenting is hard ya’ll!  The best advice I can give anyone, especially parents, is to go to God’s Word when you have questions!  What does His Word say about it?  As we have navigated certain things in our parenting journey, many times God’s Word is very direct and clear on the subject.  Other times, discernment is necessary.  I fully believe that what God calls us to do, He will fully equip us to do it well.  I have such peace in knowing that, especially when it comes to raising four children, who all have different personalities, strengths, and weaknesses.  He gives me what I need in order to raise each of my children according to His purpose!  As parents, we need to constantly be asking for wisdom and discernment when it comes to parenting.  It is absolutely necessary in our journey!

As a four year old girl, Myka was quick to accept my explanation that she was too young to have a boyfriend.  However, as she is getting older, there are more questions.  She is human and beginning to experience feelings that are completely normal!  She is trying to make sense of what she feels and work through those feelings based on what her parents have taught her and what she knows about God’s Word.  As parents we can’t simply ignore or dismiss the actions of our children so long as they are “innocent”.  We need to be starting the conversation as our children grow, teaching them along the way.  If we wait until a boundary has been crossed that we deem inappropriate or that makes us uncomfortable, that’s too late.  We live in a culture where relationships are looked at so casually.  I pray often that The Lord would give me wisdom and lead me in those conversations that will help instill Biblical values when it comes to relationships for my children.  In order to do that, I also need to find out what God’s Word says about relationships! 

When Myka was six years old, I noticed a friendship developing with a little boy at school.  Although, there was never any mention of the relationship being a “boyfriend”, I was fully aware that she became giddy when talking about him.  I would catch myself glancing over at my husband giving him the look that asked him, "Is this a big deal? Do we need to address it?  Ignore it?  Encourage it?  Wait and see what comes of it?"  I just felt she was way too young to be getting so giddy over a boy.  We talk often about our day and we ask questions that provoke more than yes or no questions.  We began to read between the lines as she spoke of her friend.  It goes back to discernment.  Although I knew these kids are young and completely innocent, I sensed it was time to talk to Myka once again about guarding her heart and not allowing her heart to cross over the line of friendship to something more.  This time, I went to the Bible to get some guidance before I sat down and talked to her.  Unfortunately, there wasn’t any verse that said, “Do not allow your children to have a boyfriend or girlfriend until at least 16 years old!”  No, I had to dig deeper.  I desired to find out if I was overreacting as a parent or were my concerns actually an inner witness from the Holy Spirit.  I asked God for wisdom and went to His Word for guidance.

Here’s what He lead me to.

1.   “For you formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.  I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” Psalms 139:13-14

I want to make sure I clearly explain to my children that God made them perfectly and it is no surprise to God that we develop stronger feelings for certain friends.  I wanted to explain to Myka that having a crush on someone was perfectly normal!  I don’t ever want my children to feel like they have sinned or done something wrong because of a thought or feeling!  It’s what they do with those feelings and thoughts that will in essence produce righteousness or sin in their lives so I wanted to communicate that clearly to her.

2.   “Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Psalms 139:16

God planned out all the days of my children’s lives before their bodies were even formed!  Every single day.  He wrote my daughter’s love story before she was even formed!  I just think that is so powerful!  I want to teach my children from a young age to seek God and let the Holy Spirit be their guide.  God’s will is perfect and our permissive wills are not.  I explained to Myka that God already knows who her husband will be and that when the timing is right, He will allow their paths to cross and a relationship to begin.  In the meantime, we need to spend our time praying for that future relationship and save our heart for the man that God already has picked out!  We talked about how it might make her feel if her husband didn’t wait for her and he chose to give a part of his heart to several girls along the way?  We talked about how God knows best and He never makes mistakes and we need to trust that His ways are perfect and worth waiting for.  

And then we prayed.  We thanked God for His good plans and asked the Lord to guard Myka's heart.  We also prayed for her future husband.  We prayed that his parents would teach him the importance of waiting for God’s perfect plan to unfold in his life and be patient for love.  We prayed that he wouldn’t be quick to give his heart to the girl who sits next to him in class or the girl that chased him on the playground.  We prayed his parents would teach him that God has his whole life already planned out and all we need to do is seek Him and allow the Holy Spirit to be our guide so that we are not lead astray and make decisions that are out of His perfect plan.  That is a prayer we pray often with all of our children and it has often provoked many questions and great conversations that focus on relationships through a Biblical perspective.  

3.   “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”  1 Peter 5:8

The definition of self-control is “the ability to control oneself, in particular one's emotions and desires or the expression of them in one's behavior, especially in difficult situations.”  As parents, we need to teach our children to not give into their emotions and desires.  Instead, we need to encourage them to pray about their feelings and desires and ask God to align their desires with God’s Word and God’s plans. 

There is an enemy that is fully aware of the good plans that God has for my children and he despises that!  The enemy could care less about protecting the innocence of my child.  He will look for any open door in their life to encourage thoughts and actions that are contrary to God’s Word and perfect plans and he has absolutely no regard to age-limit!  Self-control is necessary when it comes to having victory over the enemy!  If I know that God has a husband already picked out for my daughters and a wife for my son, how can I be okay with allowing or encouraging them to have a “boyfriend” or “girlfriend” when I know it isn’t going to lead to that perfect plan!?  It doesn’t matter how innocent the relationship is...I want to encourage them to die to their fleshly desires (Romans 8:13) and have self-control as they seek God’s perfect will for their lives.   We need to be encouraging self-control and patience in our children and not making light conversations and inquiring about their elementary or middle school love life.  We need to teach them how to work through those feelings and emotions and exercise some self-control by focusing on the end goal, which is to focus on God’s perfect plan and wait for His perfect timing.

I truly believe that if my children seek the Lord about their future spouse, it is completely possible for them to remain single until The Lord allows their paths to cross and I believe they can move forward in that relationship and eventually end in marriage without ever having dated another person!  I really believe that is possible!  With that said, I wouldn’t have a problem with my children dating someone once they are old enough to date with the purpose of that relationship leading to marriage.  I pray that if at any time they discern or recognize that relationship is not marriage material, they would end it and once again exercise self-control and be content with being single while they wait for God’s will to unfold in His perfect timing. 

4.   “Marriage must be respected by all, and the marriage bed kept undefiled, because God will judge immoral people and adulterers.”  Hebrews 13:4

Although my children are all very young and sex is not something they are being tempted with right now, this is still something I want to pour into their heart even now.  I can’t be okay with my children having boyfriend/girlfriend relationships and then all of a sudden, draw the line when they hit puberty!  That would be too late!  The decisions we make today set a precedent in what we will allow tomorrow and down the road.  

There is absolutely nothing good that comes out of boyfriend and girlfriend relationships outside of God’s will….NOTHING!  It only produces broken hearts, jealousy, insecurity, and SIN!

Did you know that more than 50% of high school students have had sexual intercourse…many of those having their first sexual experience between the ages of 12-15 years old?  Did you know that less than 3% of Christians are virgins when they get married?  Did you catch that?  97% of CHRISTIANS have sex before marriage!  These statistics alone tell me that teaching our children about Jesus is not merely enough to keep their hearts pure.  We need to do more as parents to help our children live out their purpose according to God’s plans!  I don’t want to be okay with my children casually giving their heart away to anyone outside of God’s plan!  I don’t want to be okay with my children being physical with anyone other than their spouse!  I don’t want to be okay with “casual” relationships!  I want my children to trust God’s perfect plan enough to exhibit self-control and have enough respect for themselves and their “friends” to place boundaries and remain friends and no more because they don’t want to step outside of God’s best for their lives!  The enemy wants to destroy their best, but with the Holy Spirit as their guide, God will equip them with the self-control that they need in order to wait for His best!



These are the Biblical truths that lead the conversations that I have with my children about relationships.  These are the truths that guide my parenting decisions.  Some may say I’m overprotective.  Others may say I’m old-fashioned.  I’m okay with that.  I trust God enough to lead me and equip me through His Word and His Holy Spirit as I do my best to raise up children who live for The Lord!  My husband and I have made plenty of mistakes along the way and I’m sure there will be plenty more, but when I seek God in the quietness of prayer and go to His Word to find out what He has to say on a matter, it is then that I parent in confidence and only then.  It’s that peace that I have when I know I am right in the center of His Will that will lead me back to His Word and back on my knees when the next unchartered territory comes along in my parenting journey.  I pray that you will do the same…After all, your child may be the spouse I have prayed for so many times for my child.  I pray you are leading them well.




No comments: