Wednesday, May 10, 2017

OOPS, I Did It Again!...Fighting Temptations God's Way

“Today is a new day and I am NOT going to give in again.  I can do this!”  If only I had a dollar for every time I’ve said that in my life regarding temptations…then, maybe then it wouldn’t have felt so painful when I failed to accomplish that goal!


Have you ever been tempted to do something that you knew was wrong?  If you are living and breathing, I’m certain the answer is YES!  In case you didn’t know, we live in a fallen world and temptations are all around.  Some are subtle…others are in your face! 

God’s Word says we were made in God’s image (Genesis 1:27), fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).  Yet, because of the fall of man, we were all born with sinful natures (Romans 3:23).  Have you ever thought about what your sinful tendency is?  What is it you are tempted to do most often?  Most of us could probably list our top 3 strongest temptations and tendencies.  For some of us, they may have been evident from a young age.  Others may have developed over the years as a result of our environment and choices.  Genetics and environment most definitely play a factor in our temptations and tendencies!  Regardless of when those tendencies became evident in our lives, we all fight the temptations from the enemy…he just targets us in different areas.  I have four young children and I can already identify in them some of their sinful tendencies and I can see how the devil tempts them in that area!  I have one child who has a quick temper!  From a young age, we have had to learn how to tame the beast!  I laugh as I write that, but seriously, she has a tendency to lose her anger and Satan uses that sinful nature/tendency to bait her.  He recognizes her tendencies and he is crafty enough to customize his schemes to her tendencies…and he is successful many times as she loses her temper and hauls off and hits her brother or sister!

Whether your sinful tendency is rage, addiction, sexual immorality, or overeating…the enemy recognizes your tendency and you can be sure he’s going to tempt you where you are weak because he desires to keep you in a life of sin and bondage. 

John 16:33 says, “Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

Pay particular attention to the word “trials” in that passage.   Now, read what James 1:2-4 says below.

“Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.”  James 1:2-4

Trials test our faith.  Testing of our faith produces endurance.  Endurance must complete its work.  Then we are complete and lack nothing. 

This sounds simple, but I’m sure you have learned that it’s not near as easy when you are in the midst of experiencing those trials and testing of your faith.  The enemy loves to strike us where we are weak.  When we are weak, we don’t have as much endurance so we need to do what we can in the natural to build up our defense and then activate our faith so that God can do the supernatural!

For the person who tends to turn to alcohol to solve your problems, your defense would be to never enter the bars and stay away from the gatherings that are inundated with alcohol!  Your defense is stronger when the drink isn’t right in front of your face.  Satan knows he can tempt you easier if he gets you to the party or to the bar, so you can be assured he’s going to place people in your lives or in your work environment that drink.  Will you take the bait?

For the person who has a tendency to lose your anger, your defense would be to get a good night’s rest and allow yourself plenty of time to get things done!  Your defense is stronger when you are well rested and not rushed.   Satan knows he can tempt you easier if he can keep you feeling stressed and overwhelmed.  You can be assured he’s going to place people in your lives to get in the way because he knows it will bring frustration and that’s how he can steal your joy!  Will you take the bait?

For the person battling fear, your defense is obviously going to be tailored to what you fear!  For me, since I fell into this category, I’ll tell you what my defense is!  I have learned to recognize my tendency to worry and be fearful about certain things.  I know that’s an area of weakness that the enemy has always tempted me with in an effort to keep me in bondage.  Because one of my biggest fears has to do with sickness, death, or something happening to one of my children or family members, there are specific things that I can do to build my defense!  I have to stay away from scary movies, articles, and shows that chronicle real life stories about life altering scenarios.  They only produce more worry so I just can’t watch them or read about them.  I also need to stay off of the internet when I get sick.  If I google my symptoms or the symptoms of my child, it almost always tells me I’m either dying or have a serious disease so my defense is stronger when I stop so that my mind doesn’t start dwelling on worst case scenarios!  I don’t live in denial, but I have learned that the enemy uses those search results to keep me in bondage so in an effort to build my defense in the natural, I choose to stay away from it!  I’d rather trust the expertise of my doctor more than some stranger who posted a comment under the same question I typed into my search bar.  You can be assured that Satan will use social media, entertainment, and the news stations to surround me with stories of sickness, death, abductions, and tragedies so much so that I could become a prisoner in my own home because I’m afraid to leave my home or let my family leave the house for fear of catching something or something happening to one of us.  Will I take his bait?  Will you take his bait?

The enemy is always scheming.  He’s always tempting us to take the bait.  I mentioned there are things that we can do in the physical realm to strengthen our defense and we need to do everything in the natural that we can do to resist the devil.  However, when we look at the life of Jesus, we can learn firsthand how to resist and have victory over the devil’s temptations.  This past week, I was reading the portion of scriptures in Matthew where Jesus was led to the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 

Jesus was tempted three times and each time he responded with, “It is Written.” 

Matthew 4:1-11
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil.  After He had fasted 40 days and 40 nights, He was hungry.  Then the tempter approached Him and said, “If You are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.” 

But He answered, “It is written: Man must not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”

Then the Devil took Him to the holy city, had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: He will give His angels orders concerning you, and they will support you with their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.”

 Jesus told him, “It is also written: Do not test the Lord your God.”

Again, the Devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.  And he said to Him, “I will give You all these things if You will fall down and worship me.”

Then Jesus told him, “Go away, Satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve only Him.”

 Then the Devil left Him, and immediately angels came and began to serve Him.


Isn’t it just like Satan to wait and strike us with temptation when we are at our weakest?  Notice Satan didn’t even approach Jesus until AFTER he had fasted 40 days and nights.  He was physically weak and hungry.  These temptations for Jesus were just as real and personalized as the temptations that we face every single day.  Satan knew Jesus was hungry so he tempted him in his weakest area at that moment.  He does the same to us…tempts us in our weakness. 

As I read this portion of scripture aloud, the words “IT IS WRITTEN” just stood out to me.  In the past, I have read this story and thought “Well, this is JESUS!  Of course he’s not going to fall for the tricks and temptations of the enemy!  He’s the Son of God!”  However, this time as I read it over and over, I realized what Jesus did!  Listen, friends…GOD IS SO GOOD!!!  He loves us so much that He came to earth in the form of man so that He could pay the ultimate price for our sins so that we could have eternal life with Him someday!  As if that wasn’t enough, Jesus left us an example all along the way of how to live victoriously over the enemy while we are here on earth!  We don’t have to wait for heaven to have victory over the enemy and Jesus proved it here in this story! 

How many times in our lives do we try to build our defense in the natural only to realize we are too weak and continually give in to the temptations of the enemy!?  How many times have you said to yourself I’m going to start eating healthy only to realize that you are too weak to resist that piece of pie.  How many times have you told yourself you are going to stop smoking only to realize that you are too weak to resist the desire?  How many times have you told yourself that you are going to choose joy only to realize you are too weak to resist the urge to lose your temper when your kids get out of bed for the tenth time at bedtime?  Ya’ll, let me tell you something…we ARE too weak!  Yes, we need to do our part in the natural, but Jesus said it best… “IT IS WRITTEN”!  That’s our defense!  The written Word of God is our defense!  There is a reason God’s Word is called the SWORD of the Spirit!  It’s what we battle with friends!  What is the enemy tempting you with today?  Is he tempting you to depend on a substance?  Is he tempting you to take hold of the doctor’s report?  Is he tempting you to be fearful for your children’s safety?  Is he tempting you to be unfaithful?  Is he tempting you to lose your temper?  Is he tempting you to be deceitful?  Is he tempting you to receive that sickness that is trying to attach itself to you?  Is he tempting you to give into that tendency that you have had for so long?

It’s time to tell the devil, IT IS WRITTEN! 

IT IS WRITTEN: “NOT EVERYTHING THAT IS PERMISSIBLE TO ME IS BENEFICIAL TO ME.  I WILL NOT BE MASTERED BY ANYTHING!” (1 Corinthians 6:12)

IT IS WRITTEN: “PRAISE THE LORD, MY SOUL, AND FORGET NOT ALL HIS BENEFITS.  HE FORGIVES ME ALL OF MY SINS AND HEALS ALL OF MY DISEASES!” (Psalm 103:2-4)

IT IS WRITTEN: “NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST ME WILL PROSPER!” (Isaiah 54:17)

IT IS WRITTEN: “HE HAS GIVEN HIS ANGELS ORDERS OVER ME AND MY CHILDREN TO PROTECT US IN ALL OUR WAYS!” (Psalm 91:11)

IT IS WRITTEN: “MY GOD OF HOPE HAS FILLED ME WITH JOY AND PEACE!” (Romans 15:13)

IT IS WRITTEN: “THIS IS THE DAY THAT THE LORD HAS MADE.  I WILL BE GLAD AND REJOICE IN IT!” (Psalm 118:24)

IT IS WRITTEN: “I AM A CHILD OF GOD!” (Galatians 3:26)

IT IS WRITTEN: “GREATER IS HE THAT IS IN ME, THAN HE THAT IS IN THE WORLD!” (1 John 4:4)

IT IS WRITTEN: “I AM THE HEAD AND NOT THE TAIL.” (Deuteronomy 28:13)

IT IS WRITTEN: “I AM BLESSED GOING IN AND BLESSED COMING OUT!” (Deuteronomy 28:6)

IT IS WRITTEN: “I AM LOVED!” (John 3:16)

IT IS WRITTEN: “I AM FORGIVEN!” (Luke 7:48)

IT IS WRITTEN: “I AM HIGHLY FAVORED!” (Luke 1:28)

IT IS WRITTEN: “BY HIS STRIPES I AM HEALED!” (Isaiah 53:5)

IT IS WRITTEN: “I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHIRST WHO STRENGTHENS ME!” (Philippians 4:13)

IT IS WRITTEN: “I HAVE NO FEAR!” (2 Timothy 1:7)

IT IS WRITTEN: “IF GOD IS FOR ME, WHO CAN STAND AGAINST ME!” (Romans 8:31)

IT IS WRITTEN: “EVERYHTING I PUT MY HAND TO WILL PROSPER!” (PSALM 1:3)

IT IS WRITTEN: “THE JOY OF THE LORD IS MY STRENGTH!” (Nehemiah 8:10)

Whatever it is that the devil is tempting you with today, I can assure you there is a scripture written in the Word of God that you can declare to resist his lies and temptations!  Stop fighting in your own strength.  Stop giving in and taking the bait.  Instead resist him with the Word of God.  Every time you feel the tendency to give in, remember these words…IT IS WRITTEN!  It only took hearing those words three times from Jesus Himself before Satan had to flee!  With every written Word of God spoken, it was like a stab in the heart with a double-edged sword!  Think about that!  The Word of God is alive and active!  It’s powerful!  It worked for Jesus and it still works for you today!  You are victorious!  IT IS WRITTEN!!!



No comments: